Warm pasta salad with peaches, heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella
(the Scotto family on TODAY)
- 1 head fresh fennel, cut into small dice
- 2 shallots peeled, cut into small dice
- Grated zest from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small yellow peaches, cut into small wedges
- 3 small white peaches, cut into small wedges
- 6-7 medium-size or small mixed heirloom tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1 1/2 pounds mozzarella, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 pound bowtie pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a medium-size sauté pan until hot but not smoking. Turn off the flame.
Add the diced fennel, shallots, lemon zest and wine vinegar. Add the extra-virgin olive oil. Let it cool down to room temperature.
Cut peaches just before mixing with pasta. Add peaches to vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper.
Cook pasta, drain well and then place pasta in a large bowl. While pasta is still warm, add heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, then add the peaches and vinaigrette. Toss lightly, check for seasoning and serve immediately.