Scrub-a-dub sugar scrub
Who needs a scrub? We could all use a scrub! Especially now with the months feeling like they are dwelling with chilly weather, wouldn’t it be nice to scrub away our winter blahs like *snap*. One of my favorite things is the Vanilla Honey Sugar Scrub from Central Market. It is exfoliating and moisturizing and smells like a treat! At Central Market, you scoop into into the pot yourself, pay for it and bring it home. So, I thought, “Why not do it myself at home.”
For Nestlettes and new mums, here is a relaxing scrub for you from Inhabitots.
Organic Lavender Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- 2 cups of sugar (use turbinado sugar for a strong scrub and plain white table sugar for a gentle scrub)
- whole organic vanilla beans. (in a pinch, use a dash or two of organic vanilla extract)
- a few sprigs of organic dried lavender OR organic lavender essential oil. (oil will create a stronger lavender scent than dried sprigs)
- a few cups of oil. (i.e., apricot oil or light olive oil is recommended; also, any oil from a nut or fruit or non-scented baby oil – not cooking oil)
If using vanilla beans and dried lavender, place both in your 2 cups of sugar. Cover and let sit for 1-2 weeks (this allows the sugar to infuse with scent).
Remove the vanilla beans and lavender from your sugar. Pour oil over your sugar until it’s fully saturated. If you pour too much, you can always add a bit more sugar. If you’re using lavender essential oil and/or vanilla extract, add a few drops of each into the sugar mixture. Stir your mixture. Pour mixture into nice container, and be sure to add a label (with ingredients) if it is a gift.
And for Nestlettes to make with young Nestladies (because you can never start pampering too earlier – Shiloh and Zahara are already getting manis at the Waldorf!) here is a recipe from Barbara Beery’s Spa Princess Cookbook. It is pink and easy!
Sweet Princess Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- small amount of all natural pink paste food coloring
Stir the sugar, honey, vanilla and almond extract together in a medium mixing bowl. Dip the end of a toothpick into the paste food coloring and add to mixture and stir to blend.
Use a tablespoon or two of sugar scrub on your feet and hands smooth and soothe. Rinse well with warm water and apply your favorite lotion. Keep for one week and then make more!